It would be my great pleasure to take you into an incredible treasure in my hometown: the Borghese Gallery.
As an art historian I would like to introduce you to the first masterpieces by the incomparable Baroque sculptor, Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
In this virtual tour we will envision the marble statues from many different angles to fully understand the mastery of Bernini.
- The works presented are: Aeneas and Anchises, The rape of Proserpina, Apollo and Daphne and David.
- Enjoy the statues from different perspectives. Linger on the remarkable details and on how workable the marble was for Bernini.
- Listen to the stories behind the statues: the love affairs of Apollo and Daphne and Pluto and Proserpina, the story of Aeneas and his father fleeing from Troy and the wit of David defeating Goliath.
- Who was the Cardinal commissioning such beauty?
- Why so much sensuality in a collection of a clergyman?
- How revolutionary these works are by involving the observer with the sculpture?